Blantyre Flea Market


Whenever I hear “flea market” I think of literal fleas. Quite disturbing. 

But I quickly brush it off and move on :D

Yesterday I had several errands to run on my own in Blantyre...Ever since I moved to Blantyre City I’ve found it interesting that town is referred to as “Blantyre”. Like uhm, we are in Blantyre City so everywhere is Blantyre;- Manja, Blantyre or Chilomoni, Blantyre or...you get my point. 

Interesting

So I was in town and while I was waiting to meet a customer it occurred to me that I could do a Facebook search for the hot water bottle I wanted to buy but didn’t find at the China shop I had gone to earlier. I felt so efficient and inwardly celebrated the advancement of technology in my country, where a lot of personal businesses have embraced the use of social media, making them easily accessible. And so my Facebook search turned out to be very fruitful because not only did I find the hot water bottle listed but the whole transaction also led me to the inside of Blantyre Flea Market, which is where my seller’s shop is located. The way to his little shop takes you through this place:

Warning: Bad quality pictures ahead...I was being discreet (coz I never know what kind of reaction I’d get if one of them spotted me taking photos. I don’t think they’d mind much but a lot of times I just prefer to avoid any possible fusses)

You come in through that bright light opening straight ahead


And this, my friends, is where I had my amazing lunch.

My definition of Amazing- Mpunga wa nyemba ndi masamba (White rice with beans and greens). 

You see, I’m always looking for the closest I can get to home made, and local, when I’m out and about and I’ve noticed the older I get the more I desire to eat local food (as opposed to the usual chips and chicken and other fast foods) and the less picky I am about where I eat. No, I’m not quitting fast food (hello pizza!) I just want to eat more real food...healthy food. 

Usually in places like these I will avoid thinking too much about what kind of water they used when cooking and such like because I reconcile that thought with the fact that the food went through the fire and the heat has very very likely killed off all possible germs so it's safe to eat. I will only refrain from taking their drinking water because I prefer to play it safe on that front.

And that meal of rice-and-beans-and-greens just happened as I was choosing from their assorted meals. I was hungry and before getting to this food place I had stood around at another food place close to the entrance where the lady was super busy and didn’t attend to me so I thought well let’s look around and see where else we can eat. If I had eaten at her spot though I more likely would have had either rice and boiled organic chicken or nsima with some local/indigenous vegetable with groundnut flour in it and a protein- beef or chicken. But, change of plans, change of meals...spontaneity is the way :)


Where us eaters washed our hands




So there are about three corridors of...what should I call them, restaurants? Where each corridor has about 2 food places. This is where the vendors get their food, along with other little places around the market of course, and I may or may not have been the only "outsider" there. Or at least I felt that way. Most of the eaters looked like they were right on their home ground- not that it fazed me much. 

The food is served directly from the pots either on the counter top or on the mbaula (charcoal stove) for rice and nsima. That way you get to enjoy your meal nice and hot. 

One thing I really appreciated about this place, aside from the local feel, was the hygiene! I was impressed by how clean the place was. I was sitting there on a bench facing the entire room (big house?) and comfortably taking in the details. I noticed the shops on the other side of the room where some electronics are sold and other shops were behind me- including the hot water bottle seller’s one. I had never been in that place before; I’ve just always walked past it outside getting to other places and have been completely oblivious to its existence until now.


The outside I’m referring to...Blantyre Market



And now for my ride on to the next commitment of the day...


I’m totally subscribed to the idea that the best way to know a place is by getting around by public transport or by foot, and every time I get to know a new route in Blantyre I feel amazing! 

Somehow the Soche-Limbe route usually has minibuses in this kind of state. Well... :)


Cheers!


Would you eat in such a place?

2 comments:

  1. Ha!I feel the same way about the 'flea', like it's where they sell fleas hahaha. Good adventure there!

    ReplyDelete

Rising Up From My Brokenness

I was broken. For about three whole years. I was deeply disappointed with life. "The future" turned out to be much different than ...