DIY: Must Be The Coconut

Lately I've developed a very strong liking for coconut oil, the extra virgin type, totally homemade, and way cheaper than store bought. My hair and I love it!

So, Shal bought one coconut one time and made coconut oil for the first time and it was such a great success. That's when I fell in love with 100% coconut oil; Love the smell, the feel and well, the fact that it's homemade! 

So this second time I helped, she still did most of the work but...I helped. I'm not just reaping where I didn't sow here 😃

Here's what we did:
Broke the coconuts and set aside the coconut water. 
                    Coconut water

Then we used this tool (apparently it's called a mbuzi in Tz, can't really imagine why to this moment 😀) to extract that white stuff into a bowl.


And transfered the coconut extract into a bigger bowl, filled up the above bowl with water and added to the extract to make pulp. 

Sieved the pulp in the manner shown below. You can already see the oil on her hands 😊


Finally for the day we covered it up and let it set for the night

What that does is it separates the oil from  the water. The oil hardens at the top and the water stays at the bottom. 
           This was after I'd already removed 
           removed some of the "hard top"

We then carefully transfered the "hard top" to a frying pan and put it on the heat


              Stirred occasionally 

                   Kept going

          Until the other stuff turned brown
We then let it cool and sieved through a cloth. You don't wanna lose any of that precious oil, nor risk having unwanted substances in it 😊

Finally, 
   We happily bottled them up and shared ☺️

The Coconuts only costed MK300 each and we got 6 so the whole thing only costed us MK1800. 
Can't get a better deal than that!😊 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Rising Up From My Brokenness

I was broken. For about three whole years. I was deeply disappointed with life. "The future" turned out to be much different than ...